vendredi 14 septembre 2007

Prayers

I'm writing this as a member of my host family performs his afternoon prayers directly in front of me. My host mother is in the front yard, washing herself in preparation for her prayers. In the next thirty minutes, ever since the last prayer calls sounded across Boghe, I'm sure I'll see everyone in my house bow towards Mecca three times.[1] While they do this, the TV will remain on, guests will visit the house, and everyone will continue their discussions around those in prayer.
When I first arrived at my host family, I tried to disappear whenever I saw prayers beginning. Some sessions of Peace Corps cultural training gave me the impression that prayers, and all religious functions, were off-limits to non-Muslims. I remember being told that stepping in front of someone praying, between them and Mecca, was extremely rude, much less interrupting them in some way. But I've seen card games and soccer matches continue directly in front of those praying. I've seen prayers interrupted to answer a phone call or help someone find something. I still try to follow the general precepts of respectful behavior, but I no longer go out of my way to disappear to my room or leave the house when someone begins their prayers. It only draws attention to our differences and, in my house at least, it's not necessary.[2]
I know the prayers are a spiritual act, but I imagine anything you do five times a day, everyday, begins to feel simply like a part of life, a routine activity like bathing and eating. Whether this diminishes its spiritual power or imbues daily life with a spiritual quality, I don't know.

[1] Muslims pray five times a day, at dawn, mid-day, late afternoon, dusk, and at night. Prayers can be made at a Mosque, at home, in the street, anywhere. Generally, they lay out a prayer mat facing towards Mecca and recite the Profession of Faith: Lah ilaha illallah Mohammaurrasulallh – There is no God but God and Mohamed is his prophet. Between each recitation, they bow to Mecca by prostrating themselves and touching their forehead to the ground.
[2] This was also difficult to do because my room was on the east end of the house and everyone laid their prayer mats out in front of my bedroom door. If I tried to hide in my room when my family prayed, I had to walk directly in front of them and open my door in their faces. Since the prayers can vary in length and everyone can start at different times, I would then spend the next thirty minutes to an hour poking my head out the door, between their prayer mats and Mecca, to see if anyone was still praying.