vendredi 14 septembre 2007

Proverbs

There are two villages about 5km from Boghe called Thide and Thienel and there's a Pulaar proverb that goes, "Thide et Thienel fof ko merorde Boghe."
This translates as, “Don't talk about Thide and Thienel when you mean to talk about Boghe.” Basically, say what you mean, don't beat around the bush. I like this proverb because it could be easily Americanized, maybe using the Quad Cities in Iowa.

I asked my host father for some more Pulaar proverbs and here's what he gave me.

KoTongou Dassi fof ko Tepere jo moure areta Ta.
This one translates as, “Whatever path you choose will take you where you're going.” That is, you are responsible for yourself.

So goumdo fof Woumi Woumeti andi ko guete nafata
This he translated as, “If you are blind and you regain your sight, you will know what you were missing.” He explained it as,"If you lose something, you'll appreciate it more once it's gone."

So lafa Wati Bouchada Gandi Wedade Bourydoum
This is my favorite because the literal translation I was given is so strange. My host father translated it as, “If you're wearing a hat and the hat is eating your brain, take the hat off.” I think that means that if something is bothering you, you need to fix it yourself.